Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pistolless in Peoria

Gun-toters will find it more convenient to do business at Peoria City Hall.

The city recently installed 20 gun lockers throughout the municipal-complex grounds...

The Legislature last year amended a law passed in 2000 to require that storage be readily accessible to the gun owner who enters public buildings where weapons are banned.

So the servants demand we disarm before they will grant us an audience. This evokes for me nothing so much as "One of the People," from the Philadelphia Federal Gazette, July 2, 1789 (via GunCite):

"What should we think of a gentleman, who, upon hiring a waiting-man, should say to him—'my friend, please to take notice, before we come together, that I shall always claim the liberty of eating when and what I please, of fishing and hunting upon my own ground, of keeping as many horses and hounds as I can maintain, and of speaking and writing my sentiments upon all subjects.' A servant must be a fool, who would not suppose such a master to be a madman... Let these truths sink deep into our hearts: that the people are the masters of their rulers and that rulers are the servants of the people..."

No comments: