Tuesday, October 23, 2007

WoG on BBC

Supposedly I will be part of a discussion today on the BBC. Per host Martin Vennard:
Between 1:30pm and 2pm East Coast Time in the States we will be talking to Shirley Katz live in our international discussion programme, World Have Your Say. She is the Oregon teacher who wants to be able to take a gun to school for her own protection.
I have no idea if they will even end up calling me, or if they do how much I will have a chance to say. I understand they have also approached some other pro-RKBA bloggers and activists, so I'd assume they'll also have plenty of representation from the Dark Side.

Be all these considerations and caveats as they may, here's a link that should lead you to where you can listen, and I understand they also archive things.

We'll see what this is all about. I'm going in with no expectations other than this will be fraught with opportunities to rise and fall, and am hoping I get a chance to open my yap once or twice.

[Via my booking agent]

UPDATE: Well, they never called. I tried to listen and their live program link wouldn't connect. And on top of it all, my agent still wants his 10%.

UPDATE 2 (Response to my inquiry on why nobody called):
----- Original Message -----
From: Martin Vennard
To: David Codrea
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 2:52 PM
Subject: RE: BBC

I'm very sorry. It was just because of the number of people wanting to take part. Hopefully we can speak to you in future.

Best wishes

Martin Vennard
BBC World Service radio.

Seeing as how they initiated contact with me and then asked me to rearrange my schedule to be on today, that's pretty inconsiderate and unprofessional.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, don't hold your breath too long. You're too well versed and intelligent, the thought of sparring with you I'm sure makes them shudder! There are "easier pickings" who will make them look Oh So Smart!

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Anon--I was the easier pickings they wanted, but at least I was smart enough to beg David to take up the mantle, instead.

David, as your booking agent, remember I told him that you'll sing like Gregg Allman ;-) .

Nicki said...

David, I got the same offer. I gave him my number in Kosovo, but I'm not sure if it'll work or not, because of the goofy DSN phone system here. If I don't make it, I'll be rooting for you from rainy Camp Bondsteel.

David Codrea said...

Let's tag team 'em, sister!

Kurt '45superman' Hofmann said...

Hopefully we can speak to you in future.

Yeah--I just know that this experience has made you eager for that.

Sorry to have wasted your time with this, David.

Welshman said...

David, they contacted me as well. I started to accept, but then decided against it. I think you will be a fine representative for the Dark Side.

Welshman said...

Ooops, I see they did not call. Oh well...what jerks.

chris horton said...

I've tried to post a response to Mr. Anthony 3 times,and I keep getting this reply,(Unfortunately a server error occured whilst trying to retrieve this page)whatever that is!However,they are bloody polite about it!!

chris horton said...

Ok,so here is what I posted,thanks as always for the space:
Mr. Anthony is assuming to much in his two "hypotheticals". First "hypothetical" being the fact everyone knows Ms. Katz carries a gun.Why would anybody take a chance of being shot by challenging her to start with,real or not? As far as a steak knife in the back,once the deed is done,HOW do they KNOW where Ms. Katz CONCEALS her weapon? There are MANY places on the human body to hide a weapon!!You continue to use the word training in your rebuttles sir.It's very possible that Ms. Katz has hundreds of hours in shooting her weapon.(training?!)
As far as the threat being real or not,it's obvious people such as yourself sir, have set about turning the rules upside down in such insane ways as "zero tolerance".EVERYONE now knows that's the reality kids face in our Nations' schools EVERYDAY,so the presence of a "threat" would be taken as real,right?!Seeing in that your not that far away from where Ms. katz lives and works,hopefully you'll never have to thank her for saving you or your grandkids lives,because she chose to defend herself and those around her!Don't even start on the "wild West" mentality bull either,that's old news that was debunked long ago sir!!Go back in your closet to where you were hiding,and don't forget to turn the light out!!One more thing sir,assume nothing,it only makes an ass out of u and me,get it?!?!

Nicki said...

Oh well. We would have made an awesome team, David.

I put off going to dinner for this??? Not that the chow at the DFAC was anything to write home about, but still...