Thursday, February 21, 2008

2008 NRA Board of Directors Election

The time is once more upon us.

A few have asked if I have any recommendations apart from what the "official journal" tells us.

No.

I could.

But based on past results, I'm not holding my breath.

I find it curious that "no compromise" gun owners can't even muster a majority to take over the NRA Board, but then hope to be a force in general public elections.

I don't mean to be snotty about it, but there it is. I wish it were different, but then again, I've never found wishing to be a particulary effective or reliable activity.

UPDATE: A Keyboard and a .45 introduces us to a candidate who deserves a closer look.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I find it curious that "no compromise" gun owners can't even muster a majority to take over the NRA Board, but then hope to be a force in general public elections."-David

Not so curious. I imagine many were like me. They hadn't yet become life members when they realized the NRA was not a supporter of the 2nd amendment. Then they quit them. Betrayal can be had for no more than a vote, why pay a membership fee to be betrayed?

That's my best guess. Most of those left are into politics, which is ok, but playing politics is not the same thing as taking a stand on principle or protecting natural and constitutional rights. It is merely maneuvering to get the best deal for one's self that one can without taking big risks for the sake of principle.

We won't be a force to be reckoned with until all the rest pragmatically compromise away any pretense of the existence of the rights of man. If we are ever to be a force, it will be then.

I do not expect to be a force in the election, there are too few of us. I'm just biding time till the next "march on Concord".