Tuesday, March 17, 2020

What Do YOU Think?

Deputies now monitoring home of Nelson County coronavirus patient who 'refused to self-isolate' [More]
Here's my reaction when I first heard this and was considering the civil liberties vs. transmission to others implications:
I dunno-- we know it can be lethal to some people. Take me, for instance-- late 60s, still on prescription meds for respiratory inflammation -- or my 96-year-old mother, considerably more vulnerable to not being able to weather it out. If I know this guy has it and is coming toward us, am I allowed to treat him like a threat and stop him using all force necessary if he keeps coming toward me? 
Now we find all may not be as we have been told:
“We told them we know it isn’t true,” she said. “He never even ran a fever at the hospital.” She said she has access to John’s medical records online, and as of Saturday night there was nothing in his files that showed any tests for COVID-19. She said the family had obtained legal counsel, and their lawyers also told the couple there was no positive test results in John’s medical files. “There is no record he was tested. None,” Jane said.
So what do "we" do and how much coercive restraint is justified?  Remember, at this point, none of us can say for sure.

I know if I had it I'd self-isolate for the common good and no one would have to tell me or even ask. I'm not sure I get why anyone would feel differently, but if there's one thing I've learned over the years, my opinion is generally the one most people frown on.

[Via JTM]

2 comments:

1chota said...

like, they don't have crime fighting to do?

H. Bowman said...

If I owned a shop in commie country, I would refuse. And when the tyrants come to close me down, CWII IS ON, em effers!!!

But that hellhole is bereft of ANY men, they're all pussies!

(and I toned down my language)