Thursday, December 23, 2021

Blast from the Past

 If you have not read Jeff Snyder's "A Nation of Cowards," carve out the time to do so, and properly, with consideration and reflection. If it's been a while since you read it, rediscover its truths. [More]

Then use them.

There's another essay Snyder wrote that also deserves to be reintroduced, but I read it 20 years ago, and damn if I can remember the title. I'll subject myself to some bright lights and slap myself around a bit to see if I want to quit stalling and talk.

In my preliminary search for it, I did come across a contention and discussion from a few years back saying he used a false Madison quote. Not so. The quote may be false, but here's what Snyder wrote:

"As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust."

That's not a quote and doesn't represent itself to be one, but is nonetheless a fair paraphrasing. NOC doesn't even mention Madison. And no, it hasn't been subsequently edited.

I know Facebook, Twitter, and Politifact don't have to worry about their "fact-checkers" knowing what the hell they're talking about, but if someone ostensibly on "our side" represents his conclusions as being the correct ones, I expect no less than what I demand of myself.

UPDATE: And holding myself to what I expect of myself, it appears a retraction and apology are in order: From me.

3 comments:

Henry said...

Huh. I have that quote in my copy of Nation of Cowards. I'll ship you the archived file by email.

David Codrea said...

Well, that was certainly embarrassing.

Anonymous said...

"Well, that was certainly embarrassing."

Lighten up, David. The only people who never make mistakes are the people who never do anything.

You, on the other hand, do quite a lot. So some mistakes are inevitable.

Just acknowledge your humanity and move on.