Thursday, June 19, 2008

Of Course it's Fair...

A hotel busboy noticed that Spittles had a gun. And what a gun it was. Police found it, and noticed its serial numbers had been filed off—a federal offense the last time I checked. They also found recreational drugs.

In the lockup, Spittles kept insisting—gun or no gun—that he'd walk in a few minutes. But not before he spit on a female sergeant, told her to find another female to have sex with and made rude comments to other cops who wanted to slap him.

But they couldn't. Because just then, in walked a powerful Chicago alderman and that alderman walked him out, just as Spittles had predicted.

"The Chicago Way," indeed.

"Spittles." "Pastries." "Little Pistol."

You gotta be kiddin' me. It sounds like a damn episode of "The Sopranos."

This was forwarded to me by my editor and he got it from Don Kates, who introduced it by writing:

The column...reminds me of a debate I had w/ Sam Fields [GeneralCounsel of Handgun Control Incorporated. See HANDGUN PROHIBITION AND SOCIAL NECESSITY] 30 years ago in front of the law school. Though he was volubly and OSTENSIBLY an advocate of total handgun prohibition and confiscation, when I pointed out that under NY's extreme anti-gun regime the publisher of the NY TIMES had a permit not just to own a handgun but to carry it everywhere, Fields response was that he saw no problem w/ "Punch"Sulzberger carrying a gun.

5 comments:

Ken said...

Sounds like Chicago all right. And Mr. Kass sounds like he's bucking for the Ernie Souchak Memorial "Oops My Apartment Blew Up" Award.

Also: What is it with bus boys and valet parking attendants in Chicago? It was a valet that spotted Tank Johnson's gun.

Anonymous said...

after several minutes of digging through the google cache, here's just part of an article from 2000 that mentions the incident. funny this made so little news.

daley fires cdot worker for numerous misconduct deeds

Anonymous said...

This scene happened in "Lord of War" which for being written by a bunch of anti's, seemed to give a pretty positive picture of firearms. Love that scene though...

"The reason I'll be released is the same reason you think I'll be convicted. I *do* rub shoulders with some of the most vile, sadistic men calling themselves leaders today. But some of these men are the enemies of *your* enemies. And while the biggest arms dealer in the world is your boss - the President of the United States, who ships more merchandise in a day than I do in a year - sometimes it's embarrassing to have his fingerprints on the guns. Sometimes he needs a freelancer like me to supply forces he can't be seen supplying. So. You call me evil, but unfortunately for you, I'm a necessary evil. "

Ha ha, the country formerly known as Great Britain overtook us in arms exports recently SaysUncle.

Unknown said...

from the comments section
"Chicago's gun ban is just one group of criminals protecting another group of criminals."

I thought that was profound.

Ken said...

Good point, Joe. The general tone of the comments I read makes me wonder what the rate of compliance in Chicago really is.... ;-)